Skip to main content

History of Harrison

   The History of Harrison

Town Founder
The town of Harrison was surveyed and laid out by Col. Marcus LaRue Harrison, a Union officer, (consequently named after him) in 1869 during reconstruction after the Civil War.  Harrison was platted and made the county seat.  On March 1, 1876 a certificate of incorporation was issued for the town of Harrison.

Historical Facts

  •  In 1900, telephone lines connected the town to communities as far away as Eureka Springs (Carroll County) and Marshall (Searcy County). By 1905, 175 miles of lines and 435 telephones had been installed.
  • The death of outlaw Henry Starr took place in Harrison in 1921 and created national interest. Starr and accomplices attempted to rob the People’s National Bank on February 18. The attempt ended when former bank president W. J. Myer took a shotgun from the bank vault and fired, wounding Starr, who died four days later in the county jail.
  • Flood of May 7, 1961 flooded the south side of the square, 4 killed 

Notable Figures
Harrison has been home to several notable figures: